The girl with messy hair and a thirsty heart;
Today was a wonderful summer day. The road was sparkling, the sky ever so blue, the trees were at their greenest and the laughter was certainly not few.
I had a chance to recuperate my thoughts whilst on the road staring at the sky, counting cars and drifting into a daydream while The Beatles was playing. It was nice to get away for a while.
I had grown closer to grasping this certain feeling I was talking about. I felt this certain change in perspective and I said hello to photography once again, unknowingly I was living the things on my Summer list. I also reckoned that, “There is beauty in everything, but not all can see it” that is why we must try harder and appreciate the beauty around us. Yes, even our untamed hair and burning cheeks under the scorching sun. I also felt a certain peace in our Visita Iglesia trip. We do this yearly and I’m glad our family is a happy and close one. I’ll post more photos tomorrow! Dear Summer, I must say, so far so good.
I feel like I always find my way back here.
Either when I’m euphoniously happy, or when little pieces of my life start chipping away in bits and pieces. And just like the lost girl that I am, I’m tracing my steps back to a familiar feeling, and create new maps for me to traipse upon.
1. Push yourself to get up before the rest of the world. Start with 7am, then 6am, then 5.30am. Go to the nearest hill with a big coat, a scarf and watch the sun rise.
2. Push yourself to fall asleep earlier. Start with 11pm, then 10pm, then 9pm. Wake up in the morning feeling re-energised and comfortable.
3. Erase processed food from your diet. Start with lollies, chips, biscuits, then erase pasta, rice, cereal and bread. Use the rule that if a child couldn’t identify what was in it, you don’t eat it.
4. Get into the habit of cooking yourself a beautiful breakfast. Fry tomatoes and mushrooms in real butter and garlic. Fry an egg, slice up a fresh avocado and squirt way too much lemon on it. Sit and eat it and do nothing else.
5. Stretch. Start by reaching for the sky as hard as you can, then trying to touch your toes. Roll your head. Stretch your fingers. Stretch everything.
6. Buy a one-litre water bottle. Start with pushing yourself to drink the whole thing in a day, then try drinking it twice.
7. Buy a beautiful diary and a beautiful black pen. Write down everything you do, including dinner dates, appointments, assignments, coffees, what you need to do that day. No detail is too small.
8. Strip your bed of your sheets and empty your underwear draw into the washing machine. Put a massive scoop of scented fabric softener in there and wash. Make your bed in full.
9. Organise your room. Fold all your clothes (and bag what you don’t want), clean your mirror, your laptop, vacuum the floor. Light a beautiful candle.
10. Have a luxurious shower with your favourite music playing. Wash your hair, scrub your body, brush your teeth. Lather your whole body in moisturiser - get familiar with the part between your toes, your inner thighs, the back of your neck.
11. Push yourself to go for a walk. Take your headphones, go to the beach and walk. Smile at strangers walking the other way and be surprised how many smile back. Bring your dog and observe the dog’s behaviour. Realise you can learn from your dog.
12. Message old friends with personal jokes. Reminisce. Suggest a catch-up soon, even if you don’t follow through. Push yourself to follow through.
14. Think long and hard about what interests you. Crime? Sex? Boarding school? Long-forgotten romance etiquette? Find a book about it and read it. There is a book about literally everything.
15. Become the person you would ideally fall in love with. Let cars merge into your lane when driving. Pay double for parking tickets and leave a second one in the machine. Stick your tongue out at babies.
Compliment people on their cute clothes. Challenge yourself to not ridicule anyone for a whole day. Then two. Then a week. Walk with a straight posture. Look people in the eye. Ask people about their story. Talk to acquaintances so they become friends.
16. Lie in the sunshine. Daydream about the life you would lead if failure wasn’t a thing. Open your eyes. Take small steps to make it happen for you.
I just wanna say this little shout out to you guys,
This comes from the bottom of my fat heart, I love you guys. I really do.
Whenever you say that I inspire you, or you express your feelings through words, art, and the messages you send me, believe me, I really feel happy. Thank you for appreciating the things I do, and y’know what?
Y’all inspire me to keep doing the things that I love. You guys inspire me as well. Although, I must say I’m not the type of blogger who blogs everything everyday ‘cos you know how I still want to keep some things to myself. But thank you, for being with me in my little adventures, and sharing the same positive vibe with my kaleidoscopic character.
Thanks for believing in me as I make my way towards achieving my dreams no matter how hard it is or sometimes how clueless I am in doing so hahaha. Yeah, I guess we really do have a choice. And I choose a beautiful life. Before I was on the verge of getting tired of this blog, and I guess my old readers know about that, but I am finding sense and meaning in writing here again. This maybe fragmented but I guess all I’m trying to say is, Thank you.
Hello, I’m back with the glorious summer sun!
And for el primero de abril, we kicked it off with the #BestDateEver! I’ve always had this idea of the summer I want to have and now, I won’t let the things I want to be just theoretical, but I wanna see thevm happening. I wanna live my days the way I want it to be.
Oh, your mirrored sea, your waves are haunting me, your mirrored sea
Trippy popcorn poppin like dauntless creatures
Candid, I love this photo. I semi-feel like Coleen Garcia, lol.
For our BDE, I won’t munch into the details ‘cos I wanna preserve it. But I just want you to know that you are amazing, and I couldn’t think of anyone else to be my partner and a guy best friend in this world. You’ve got a beautiful mind and a beautiful soul, and I don’t know… I’m just, really happy. In a thread of words; Warm sun, hot cheeks, laughs, slow-mo moments, japanese food, fruit shakes, light leaks our eyes, holding hands while cruising, not caring ‘cos we own the world, popcorn, a divergent story, streets, and chocolate army caps. There’s something about being in a sea of people, like you belong and don’t belong at the same time and it felt alright. All I wanna say is that I will remember days like this, happy and free.
(Can’t wait for more adventures! Stay tuned!)
For our individual project, we are tasked to do a list of 10 things that we’ve learned in class. And here, for my list, I have placed a series of my original artworks (including the one above) to artistically represent the things that I have learned from the lectures we had as well as the morals that I have reflected upon.
Honestly, I must say I have stopped reading the newspaper as well as watching the news on television. But, because of our ‘slice’ every meeting, I enjoyed searching for interesting stories and the latest news not just within my proximity but as well as the whole globe. I then learned that even with my lack of interest to read the newspaper (because nowadays, most of us cannot afford to sit back and read the whole newspaper from the first to the last page) and to watch the news on television, my news supplement alternative became Facebook, Twitter, and Rappler. Using social media sites for a more fruitful purpose when I go online.
During our discussions, our professor isn’t spoon feeding us and/or dictating what is right from wrong, rather she supplemented us with theories, philosophies, and lectures so that we could analyze on our own and make a decision from there. We should view a situation from different angles before we come up to a conclusion.
One question that was asked from us in class is, “Should the government dictate to us our morals?” And from our discussion, I answered, that we are heterogeneous individuals with different beliefs and lifestyles, morals cannot be dictated upon us. And our common denominator, which is us being humans, we should learn to respect one another.
Here is a digital representation of the note/mini typography I did in class. Because as what my professor said, not everything is in black and white. There are gray parts. There are considerations to be made when making a decision because not all is based on paper. That is why we have ethics, we have different ways to come up with a certain decision and that doesn’t only apply in media but in real life decision making too.
As what we’ve discussed, our laws differ to that of another country’s. It is important to learn and understand our own laws so that if we are faced in a certain situation, we will not be ignorant and that leads to the 6th thing that I’ve learned…
I guess a lot of the Philippine populace has a vague notion of our own law. Also, ignorant in a way, that leads to oppression, corruption and manipulation. But now, with the FOI Bill, I believe we are starting to act upon that knowledge that we deserve, no scratch that, WE HAVE THE RIGHT to information. I learned that we mustn’t be passive, but an active citizen in this society.
After studying media ethics this term, not only that I had a renewed sense of freedom but rather, a greater sense of responsibility with that great freedom that I am experiencing right now (e.g. posting, verifying news that I share through the internet, spread love not hate hehe). That doesn’t just apply in freedom of expression but also as a teenager at that matter, I keep asking for “more” freedom (well, y’know how teenagers are) but I realized that, this, here, right now, I am free. I couldn’t be anymore freer than this, I only have to live up to this freedom and that idea of having “more” freedom is just an illusion. I am as free as I want to be.
Somehow, people have this notion that when you’re an artist, “Ah, art art lang yan." or it’s "free" but no, actually making art is expensive (in terms of the materials like the canvas, acrylics and paint brushes), time consuming, and a whole lot of hard work. Then it’ll only be stolen away? Also, as a self proclaimed writer, I now then realize I can sue people for stealing my work, plagiarizing and copy pasting my written work. Also, to the people who make fake accounts and steal photos. Yes, you can be tracked down, sued, and spend jail time. Realizing my rights gave me a sense of power and I now can share it with the people who have no idea about this. I am an artist, I deserve credit for my work, I don’t always work for free. I work just as hard as anyone else, an engineer, an accountant, a nurse, but the Arts is my chosen field.
One thing I love about my class under my professor is that she always encourages us to share our stories, our news, and our opinions. That is why I love participating because I learn more through the discussions and the conversing of ideas and thoughts on certain topics. I vividly remember that our professor said that we should speak up, and it doesn’t matter if we have a different stand among others. The important thing is we know what we’re fighting for and how we fight for it. (hence, the illustration the other one thinks organic, the other one thinks scientific. Contrast of thoughts)
With all of the struggles I had this term, all of the seemingly impossible that I have faced, and personal issues and decisions I had and still have to make, I have learned that in everything that we do, it is important to have heart. In our ethics class, I think that’s what makes us human. Our ability to decide and make a choice. To decipher which is the best decision for us to make, in our lives. That not all could be based on paper, that “hey, according to this law section something it isn’t right to feel weak and sad” but heck, I believe that that’s what makes us human. We are wonderful and flawed all the same and that is something that I learned during the end of this term.
With that, I can say that it was a really fun learning experience. I enjoyed the paperwork (because I love to write, and I can practice because of it heehee) and the active discussions.
I will sleep happy tonight, I embrace my own quirks and flaws and weirdness and all. I am in love with things unseen by the naked eye, for they mean more. I will sleep knowing that tomorrow will take care of itself, and I have nothing to fear. I just, love Sundays and it’s entirety. Good night :->
What you really want is happiness. You might believe that a fat bank account will get you there, but that’s false. Happy people are happy rich or poor, unhappy people are unhappy rich or poor. Money simply masks your real being by giving you activities to occupy your mind. Don’t fool yourself, recession or not, your true wealth comes from your heart and is always only there.